Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hostelling International Downtown, San Francisco Aug 2007



This is Hostelling International Downtown (in short HI Downtown) at 312 Mason Street and is where I stayed when I visited San Francisco. Location is very convenient and central. Walking distance to Powell Bart Station (3 min), Chinatown, Union Square is one block behind the hostel and to Fisherman Wharf (53 min). You can take a direct train from SFO airport to Powell Bart Station and just walk to the hostel. That's what I did, dragging my luggage in the middle of the night at 12am because my flight from Honolulu was delayed. I do admit it was quite scary because it was so quiet and dark and all I have is my street map to find the hostel. The train cost US$5.15 and is about 20 minutes ride.

Lots of restaurants around, 24H restaurants, mini markets etc. This hostel provides free breakfast, has in room locker which is free (just bring a padlock), comforter blanket and attached bathroom. Along the corridors there are common washrooms and bathrooms as well. The room is spacious and clean and so are their washrooms and bathrooms. Free towel and linen is also given. Housekeeping is daily, and everyday when I came back to the hostel, my room is clean and my blanket is neatly folded : -) Oops! And how much does the bed cost? For just approximately US$26 per day!

You need to pay for internet access though which is a minimum of US$2 for 20 minutes. That's expensive. They also have day lockers which is big enough to store your luggage and cost US$2 every 12 hours. This is for additional stuffs that you want to lock and can't fit into the room lockers. Oh, they also have a lift, so don't worry about having to drag your luggage up several floors.

A moderate walk from here to Chinatown which is around the corner and to Pier 39 takes about 1 hour. If you have time to spare, this is a good place to start roaming the city. Across ths street is a travel booth where you can sign up for various tours.
There is a mixture of Asians and Caucasions here, young and old. The environment is cozy and friendly. Daily shuttle is also available to Los Angeles for US$50 per person.

There is another hostel at Ellis Street, that's HI City Center. That location is not so good because there are lots of homeless people and drug addicts sleeping/hanging around outside the hostel. Traffic there is also low and I don't really feel safe walking along the street.

Overall, I think this place is a real bargain.

No comments:

Post a Comment