Saturday, December 6, 2008

15D13N USA West Coast - Honolulu: Aug 2007

Honolulu

I had to fly MAS to Singapore for an overnight transit before taking the next United Airline flight out to Honolulu the next day. I was late and could not get a room at the transit hotel so I ended up sleeping with some other travellers on the couch at the United Airline transit counter in Changi Airport. Middle of the night I was awaken by someone calling me. I opened my eyes to see two policemen with their guns asking me for my passport and my boarding pass. They asked where I'm heading to and after clearing my throat a few times (suddenly lost my voice!) with my husky voice told them that I am going to Honolulu. I looked around and saw a few other policemen checking the other passengers too. Well, I couldn't sleep after that and ended up walking around the empty airport until the next morning.

The direct flight to Honolulu by United Airline was a smooth one. The food was good too and luckily they were punctual.

Upon arrival on Day 2, I had wanted to take Robertshawaii shuttle to the city but my friend told me that reliable shuttle is more 'reliable'. So after I collected my luggage, I went to the free phone booth to call the reliable shuttle. I was asked to cross over to the road opposite and wait for the shuttle which should arrive in 3 minutes. I crossed the road as instructed and realized that they never gave me the location to wait. At the same time, I saw many robertshawaii shuttle around and many airport passengers have left with robertshawaii shuttle. Then I saw the reliable shuttle driving past me without stopping! How do they know who they are supposed to pick up opposite the road? Anyway, I wasted about 30 minutes running around looking for the reliable shuttle, asking around and calling them for the pick-up. During those waiting time, already many robertshawaii shuttle came and left. In the end, I decided to just hop on to the robertshawaii shuttle who took me straight to the hostel in downtown without any delay. My verdict? Robertshawaii shuttle is more reliable and there are plenty of them outside the airport.

After checking in to the hostel, I took a quick bath to refresh myself and met up with my friend. Our first stop was the Iolani Palace at downtown Honolulu. Incidentally it was opened for free tour on that day. There was also a musical band outside the palace. Many people were hanging around outside the palace, some having a picnic while some were just simply relaxing and chatting away enjoying the music.





That's King Kamehameha statue in downtown Honolulu. King Kamehameha is one of the greatest historical figures in Oahu.




In the evening, we drove to the famous Waikiki beach. We had a short walk along the beach area and then waited for the night cultural dance performance outside one of the Waikiki beach hotels. It was great and I felt the hawaiian atmosphere there.








The next day on Day 3, I visited my friend's apartment at Liliha Street. That's how the apartment looks like. Very simple and small. At night, the place is quite windy.








We went shopping at the stadium's flea market. In Hawaii, they call it "swap meet". It's located at the stadium during the weekends. You can get all the Hawaiian souvenirs here and is cheaper than the ABC stores in downtown. Oops, I think in America, they say "inexpensive" not "cheaper". I enjoyed the shopping here. There are so many stalls selling a varieties of stuffs, from clothings, accessories, bags, sunglasses and many more.





Next, we had a leisure ride around the Waikiki's area.






We then drove up the hill to visit the hill homes. This is where the rich stays and the views from up there is spectacular. Wish I had a house there.








In the afternoon, we visited the beautiful Hanauma Bay. All first time visitors are required to view a short video on the preservation of marine life at Hanauma Bay. The beach is clean and beautiful. Many people come here for snorkeling. I can't swim but was equally thrilled even as I soaked myself in the sea near the beach as the fish will swim up close to you.











As Hanauma Bay is near the coastal area, we took a short and leisure ride around the coastal area after Hanauma Bay. It was indeed scenic and you will see the beach and the mountain all around. Stopped by to pose at one of the beach.







Day 4, followed my friend to attend a church service. After church, we went to try out the famous shave ice in Honolulu. There was a long queue of people waiting to buy the shave ice. Well, the shave ice is the ice-kacang or ABC back home. It was nothing compared to our ice-kacang. It is just shaved ice with some syrup on it.





After that we went for another coastal drive around Honolulu. These are the pictures taken along the coastal drive.






Day 5, we visited Pearl Habour. Had a walk around the Arizona Memorial, saw the sunken ship and then visited the USS Missouri.







That evening, my friend dropped me back at downtown to explore the city myself.




Day 6 was the last day at Honolulu and was spent at the Polynesian Cultural Center. It's about an hour drive from downtown and the journey there is breathtaking.





Arrived at Polynesian Cultural Center. It has 7 native villages inside, Fiji, Samoa, Aotearoa, Tonga, Marquesas, Tahiti and Hawaii. Each has its own activities and cultural performances.





We learnt the hula dance and played their games.




Then came the Rainbow of Paradise which I enjoyed very much.





The night ended with Horizons, an evening show from the Polynesians...dancing and singing....

The next morning, Day 7, was my flight to San Francisco. Bye Hawaii! It has been a wonderful time knowing you and see you again...

No comments:

Post a Comment